This was our basement before. It had filthy, 20 year old carpet, florescent lights, holes in the ceiling, stains on the walls from former water leaks, and the pungent smell of mold.
The outside of the house had white paint of various shades.
Madigan and I removed a large shelving unit and then Madigan, Declan and I ripped up the carpeting, with the assumption that there would be mold underneath. Upon doing so, we discovered that there wasn't any obvious mold, but there was a layer of 40 year old linoleum that was badly chipped and aged. I chipped up the remaining flooring and found black mold covering the concrete beneath. After getting it all up, I sealed it with an oil-based sealant and we prepared to paint. The boys grabbed their rollers and the floor transformation began!
Off with the old (room) and on with the new (room)!
We set up the little corner with books and an Edison lamp.
Lastly, we painted the outside of the house to match a color in the bricks, as well as the front flower bed and sidewalk.